Saturday, June 28, 2014

GuildCraft Dev Diary: Part VI

The last couple of posts have been fairly technical. This one will be more about showing some of the progress that has been made.

First, I have updated the FatEnum open source changes with the serialization features that I discussed in part IV.
http://artificerentertainment.blogspot.ca/2014/05/guildcraft-devdiary-part-iv.html )
https://github.com/jameswalkoski/FatEnum )

Next up, I have some work-in-progress screenshots from the web version of the Open Gaming License Artificer System Reference Document that I discussed in part V. For the educational purposes of testing, I have used some data from the d20 v3.5 SRD.
( http://artificerentertainment.blogspot.ca/2014/06/guildcraft-dev-diary-part-v.html )
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35 )

Remember, one of my primary goals was to reduce maintenance time. I want to spend my time programming the game, not as an unpaid webmaster. That's why all of the hyperlinks in the image below were automatically generated. When a new page is added to the SRD, all of the existing pages will automatically update their table of contents and create new hyperlinks.

Links are created to all subsections of pages, not just the page name. The system is also designed so that both "ogre mage" and "ogre magi" will link to the ogre mage on the monster page.

That's not a test, it's just a spelling mistake. 

Since the Artificer SRD will be defined by a list of changes to an existing OGL SRD, it makes sense to keep track of those changes and make them obvious to players. This image shows an automatically generated list of the rules that were removed, changed, and inserted in the Artificer SRD. (Each of which is defined by only one line of XML!)

Don't worry, these changes are just for testing. The Paladin hit die will actually be a d4.

Finally, I have some CSS code to share. The Google custom search engine box was really annoying to work with. This is a quick tutorial on how to customize the appearance of the Google custom search engine search box. This is probably handled by a plug-in if you are paying for WordPress or whatever, but as someone using raw HTML it was impossible to find all of the below information in one place.

This CSS code (in conjunction with the javascript that Google provides) will produce the search box seen in the image below:
/* search box */
.gsc-control-cse {
    min-width: 8.0rem !important;
    margin-left: 0.0rem !important;
    margin-right: 0.0rem !important;
    margin-top: 1.0rem !important;
    margin-bottom: 1.0rem !important;
    padding: 0.0rem !important;
    border-width: 1px !important;
    border-color: #660011 !important;
}
.gsc-search-box {
    margin: 0.0rem !important;
    padding: 0.0rem !important;
    border: none !important;
}
.gsc-input {
    height: 1.1rem !important;
    margin: 0.0rem !important;
    padding: 0.0rem !important;
    border: none !important;
}
.gsc-search-button {
    display: none !important;
}
.gsc-clear-button {
    display: none !important;
}
Depending on your content pipeline, you may also need to change your html element to a div block:
<!-- aka <gcse:search> -->
<div class="gcse-search"></div>
Victory:

Based on that table of contents, it's a good thing search is enabled...

In a future post I would like to discuss using the Surface Pro 3 as a mobile development machine. I'm excited about the 3:2 aspect ratio, but it will be at least a month before the i7 variant that I ordered arrives.
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/products/surface-pro-3 )


Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment